Cystopteris laurentiana (Weatherby) Blasdell
Laurentian fragile fern
Copyright: various copyright holders. To reuse an image, please click it to see who you will need to contact.
New England Distribution
Adapted from BONAP data
Non-native: introduced (intentionally or unintentionally); has become naturalized.
County documented: documented to exist in the county by evidence (herbarium specimen, photograph). Also covers those considered historical (not seen in 20 years).
State documented: never been documented from the county, but known from the state. May be present. Or, may be restricted to a small area or a habitat (alpine, marsh, etc.), so unlikely found in some counties.
Note: when native and non-native populations both exist in a county, only native status is shown on the map.
Found this plant? Take a photo and post a sighting.
Laurentian fragile fern has a scattered distribution in northeastern North America. In New England it is found on cliffs and ledges, usually on high-pH substrate, in Connecticut, Massachusetts and Vermont. Look closely for sparse glandular hairs to confirm identification of this species.
Cliffs, balds, or ledges, ridges or ledges, talus and rocky slopes
- New England state
- Features of leaves
- there are no special features on the leaves
- there are small bulbs on the underside of the leaf blade
- New England state
- Specific habitat
- cliffs, balds, or ledges
- ridges or ledges
- talus or rocky slopes
New England Distribution and Conservation Status
- New Hampshire
- Rhode Island
Exact status definitions can vary from state to state. For details, please check with your state.
- rare to uncommon (S-rank: S2S3), #NAME? (code: #NAME?)
- extremely rare (S-rank: S1)
Native to North America?
Sometimes Confused With
- Cystopteris bulbifera:
- leaf blade triangular to long-triangular, bulbils frequently present, and leaf rachis usually with dense glandular hairs (vs. C. laurentiana, with leaf blade ovate to narrow-ovate, bulbils only rarely present, and leaf rachis with sparse glandular hairs).
- Cystopteris fragilis (L.) Bernh. var. laurentiana Weatherby
Need Help?Get Help
Information from Dichotomous Key of Flora Novae Angliae
3. Cystopteris laurentiana (Weatherby) Blasdell NC
Laurentian fragile fern. Cystopteris fragilis (L.) Bernh. var. laurentiana Weatherby • ct, MA, VT. Cliffs and ledges, usually high-pH substrate.